Sunday, May 27, 2007

Candlelit Conversation

We got a short brownout early this evening... Which was a complete surprise. So, we lit up a the last candle that remained, and stayed in the living room. The house seemed different, lit by the flickering soft flame. We gazed at each other, feeling the eeriness of the night, gazing upon the shadows that played on our faces. We were silent, the only sound coming from the dripping of the rain from the gutter, for we did not know what to do. A phone lit up and beeped once. I read through the message and put the gadget back on the table. A light breeze blew, the candle flickered again, the warmth left me.

The clock ticked off the seconds. It was almost six. But the sky, covered with clouds, denied us of the sun, and it looked as if it was late already. I looked at the other person again, and formed the words in my mind, planning to write them down when the power returned, and I, back home. I crossed my arms, trying to warm myself up. Outside, the rained started pouring again. The phone lit up and beeped again, but I did not pick it up. My companion looked at the glow intently, then at me, eyes asking me why I did not bother.

I ran my fingers through my hair and looked at the ceiling, at the lamp, dark and powerless. The other person moved, and stood up, looking outside. The whole area was dark, I knew. My companion sat down again, and looked down. My eyes focused at the flame again. Insects were flying around, attracted to the light, yet killed by it.

A sudden flash of light erupted from the lamp above us. The power returned. I looked at the other person, and stood up, and went to the door, passing by him. I reached for my damped umbrella. A hand held mine, and I looked at him. The candle's flame was no more, for it was useless compared to the lamp that emitted a much brighter light.

I motioned him that what he was planning to do wasn't needed. He looked at me, and I nodded.

Minutes have passed. I'm home, but still recalling each moment...

No comments: